Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Scope Creep

Scope Creep?

Example:   I need to get the grill ready for the first of the summer hamburgers.  My estimate is about a half hour to dust off the grill.   Whoops…seems I didn’t do the final cleaning before packing it away.  Now I need the wire brush and the grill spray and I better find some rubber gloves to make sure that the Grill Grime Gone spray doesn’t disintegrate my fingers.  Where did I put all these things last fall?  Better revise my time estimate….

That’s scope creep.

I’ve posted the attributes that I’m looking for in a spreadsheet with the columns for each of the big boards.  That was the plan.  Then I could go forward with other boards using the items from the big boards as a measure.  List the main functions down the columns, boards across the top.  Take Monster first.  Starting with the most basic items, I start listing the options:
  • Keywords, job titles
  • Location
  • Set a search agent
  • Save a job
  • Ads
  • Posting date
  • Radius
  • Etc.
As I go from board to board, I find that there are different nuances in each board.  After finishing with Monster, Indeed has some new options and now I need to see if there is something similar on Monster.

This could get worse with each new board!  My scope is creeping off as rapidly as a baby going after candy!

Can I get it under control?




 

No comments:

Post a Comment