Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Building My Career (well, ‘a job’ will do actually)

Career Builder Redux...

I enter my classic search targets – “IT Auditor” at zip code 06804.   Fifteen jobs listed in a VERY clean, easy to read format with the key information and links to a full view, save the job or e-mail it out.  Nice.  At the top you can narrow the search by topic.   Four topics – Category, Company, City and State.   I like this.  Everything you need to narrow down the search right up front and in a nutshell.

Like Indeed there are numbers per category making it a great way to look quickly at the job category and who is hiring.  In Career Builder the numbers add up.  Awesome!  The ‘Categories’ are not exclusive, but the numbers are all 15 or less and the exclusive categories of Company, City and State all add up to 15.

So take a look at the listings.   OMG!  Not the Avon Lady again!   Are they after me? 

Think again. Try strategically.  Obviously Avon is trying (I might say desperately) to build their sales force.   Avon is in Connecticut, that’s good.  Seemingly they are growing.   Might be worth a look at their website.  Again, one of the very best things about the big boards is the ability to see quickly which companies are hiring.

One detail on the Career Builder search.   As you start typing, they offer you a pull down list of options.   I can enter “IT Auditor” in quotes as I did with the other boards….or I can use their list.  The results are very different.   Their listing pulls up 23 candidates and the quote version 1.   A quick look shows that their list choice is choosing to do a search on “IT” and “auditor” when both appear in the listing, but not necessarily together.   Since searching “IT” also finds every instance of “it” this is not really optimal.   It bothers me, but I maybe have to put this in my ‘it’s your obsession’ category.  Bet I could come up with other jobs where the combination is not a sum of the parts!   (But not now…)

BTW.  If I use ‘IT Audit’ instead of ‘IT Auditor’ the list grows by a factor of 10.  Tells me the next look should probably be at my choice of keywords.

The second look here proved that first opinions are not always valid.  Maybe I can forgive Career Builder for the overwhelming list of job categories.   Again there are a large number of options to come back to and look over….but onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment