Thursday, December 1, 2011

Resume Tracking

The chatter you hear in the job market is that you are supposed to control your resume.  Hold it close to your chest like a hand of cards that has 4 aces.   Why?   Because if a company gets your resume through two different sources and one of the sources is a recruiter who expects to get paid for filling a job, the company will avoid at all costs getting into the fight over who came in first.   Two recruiters pitching your resume and the scrapping comes close to a heavyweight prize fight.

The word is ‘don’t post’…’keep control’…’know where your resume is at all times’. 

And do you? 

Urban legend…your resume may get tossed in the scrapheap just because some unscrupulous recruiter has applied for a job for you without telling you.

Here’s what happened to me.   I applied for a job online and I was asked to hand over my resume to have it ‘scanned to help match’ my qualifications on the application. (Note: This was NOT to post the resume for the job.)  I blanched a bit and then turned it over.   I then went on to fill in a set of questions that would have qualified me for top secret clearance.  Not fun.

As far as I remember, there wasn’t any notification that they were storing my resume, but later exploration of the same company site proved that it was out there. 

Now the BIG question.  This was done for a company that is a provider for a number of Fortune 500 companies.   Do they all have access to it?  I’ll never know.    Well, I might if I read all the fine print in those agreements.   Agggghhhh!

PS…to unscrupulous recruiters, if you do land a job for me…please tell me about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment