Friday, December 2, 2011

Privacy – WOW! Again!

No sooner did I start writing about privacy than I got an e-mail titled “Job Hunters: Your electronic privacy may be at risk!” 

This is followed by an article going into the ‘DANGERS’ of posting online.  Besides the unscrupulous recruiters, you are leaving yourself open to scammers, phishers, spammers and all sorts of other nasty people who are sitting there waiting to grab your information off your resume, drain your bank account and tell your current employer you are looking for job. 

Oh dear!

What’s in my resume that’s private?.  Let’s see what Wikipedia has to say.  My Personally Identifiable Information (PII for those of you who want to sound keyed in)  consists of linking my name with other information that identifies me specifically – usually listed as my birthdate, my address, social security number, financial account information (banks/credit card numbers) and other ‘sensitive’ categories like health information. 

So what protects me, resume-wise.  Right now, some state laws…the federal legislation is languishing in Congress (no surprise there!)  If you live in Massachusetts, for example, there are some pretty stiff penalties for inadequate protections and very embarrassing requirements for reporting breaches to a data file.

My take…my address is already out there for the world to see and paying a couple of bucks will get you more about me than even I know.  I do use some basic precautions on my social security and account information and hope that I am such a small fish that no one will bother with me.

Next...I'll fill you in on the e-mail's solution...

No comments:

Post a Comment