Thursday, March 8, 2012

You Know More About Me Than I Do

Story #1: 
I was with a group of unemployed friends talking about job applications on line.  Someone said “The site said it was ‘powered’ by ‘abcd’.”  Everyone around the table groaned.  No kidding – EVERYONE, and not quietly.   We had never discussed ‘abcd’, but we all had the common experience of filling out their endless required questions online.   Since then I actually had someone tell me “If the site is run by ‘abcd’, I don’t bother.”

Story #2: 
I asked an HR person about some of the questions on their job ap.  “We don’t ask that!  You must have gotten the application for recent grads.”   I caved and said “Well, maybe…I’ll check it out.”  I checked.   Nope, I had it right.  What does this imply?   Is your HR using what they ask for?

Do you REALLY want your candidates to close the application because of your vendor? Are you going to do a credit check before you have even spoken to me on the telephone?  I have to admit I almost stopped cold when asked for my social security number.   I’m pretty sure most candidates who are employed would think twice before providing a current manager’s telephone in spite of all the assurances they would not be contacted.

Corollary for #5:  If you don't need it NOW, don't ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment