Friday, March 2, 2012

Salary Range is 0?

Like an end date for applications, I don’t understand the reluctance of some job postings (mostly company sites) to post how much they plan to pay for the job.

Let me be truthful…it annoys me!   Companies play this figure like a bad hand in poker – they don’t seem to let the world know.  It sends bad vibes.  Is there something shady about the figure?  Why is it a secret?  Does this mean that they don’t want current employees to see it?

It’s doubly annoying that you won’t tell…and then ask for my salary when I fill out the application.  Level the playing field!  

In my mind this is a key screening tool before I apply.  I too have a range in mind.  Too high or too low and I’ll make your pile of applicants one less.  I might still go for it if the fit is perfect and I would be THE candidate at the high range or there are fantastic opportunities or perks if the salary is a little low.  There is always wiggle room on both sides if this needs to be negotiated.  

#4 Corollary:  Post a salary range for the job.   It will make you look good, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment