Tuesday, March 6, 2012

#5 Too Much, Too Soon





A nightmare for the job hunter is the job application that asks for pages and pages and pages of personal information.  I filled out one recently that not only asked for my social security number and birthdate, my last manager, a full history of GPA & grad year, approval for a credit check and finished off by making me search for the street address of my high school!   Most of these fields were required!  

With each field I felt like my chances of ever passing their screening were circling the drain.  Leave a field blank and the computer whispers “delete”. 

I have two questions on this…
1. Do you REALLY need this?
2. Are you sure you want to do this?

Only you know the answer to question #1.  I can’t guess what or why your company requires certain information.   I DO have comments on the second question which I’ll continue with  …but for now…

Tip #5  On the initial application ask for what you need to start the process.   You can pump me for more information later.

No comments:

Post a Comment